What's Cooking: Churros

Howdy? I going back to one of my loves, the kitchen. With "What's Cooking," I will be sharing recipes that I am trying on and been cooking or baking for a time. Inspired with Jamie Oliver's #Food Revolution campaign, I also encourage everyone to try cooking simple and quick snacks that does not require going to fast foods.
One of the latest afternoon snacks I tried making for my Browie & Sissy is the Churros. Churros is Spanish favorite snacks. And it is best eaten as soon as they're cooked. I got my recipe from Yummy Magazine by Chef Aileen Anastacio.

CHURROS
  • oil for deep frying, plus 2 tablespoon, divided
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp. milk
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • confectioner's sugar for dusting
  1. Pour oil into a deep pan until about 2 inches deep. Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
  2. In another saucepot, bring water, milk, salt and 2 tbsp. oil to rolling boil. Remove from heat and add flour all at once. Keep stirring until dough is smooth and forms into a ball without  lumps. Let cool slightly to make piping easier.
  3. Fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with the dough. Squeeze piping bag over hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and dust with confectioner's sugar.


When making churros, I highly encourage to do it with an assistant. First it requires lots of muscle power when squeezing and you need an assistant to cut it when piping straight to a hot oil.
My first try is a blast, it was gone in an instant.

Comments